Location & History

The Crossroads BIA is located in Edmonton, Alberta.  We are a 22 year old organization serving 9 surrounding communities and approximately 170 businesses.

Inglewood

Community League:  http://inglewoodcl.com

Inglewood is located on land that was previously owned by J. Norris Sr. and R. Logan in 1882. Norris was a Scottish-born Hudson Bay Company employee who became a wagon freighter, a saw mill operator, and a partner in a local merchandising firm, Norris and Carey. The property, which was situated on the trail between St. Albert and Edmonton, was an area favoured by First Nations communities for campsites while they did their business in the city until the 1920s.

In the City of Edmonton’s 2012 municipal census, Inglewood had a population of 6,310 living in 4,140 dwellings.

The Inglewood area was annexed to Edmonton in two stages in 1904 and 1920. Development in the area was spurred by the extension of the electric streetcar line to Alberta (118th) Avenue via 124th Street in 1913. Street car service continued until 1948.

Inglewood developed as a low-density residential neighbourhood until the 1950s, but this began to change from the 1950s onward. By 2006, low-density residential units in Inglewood made up only 20 percent of units, while the greatest proportion on units were found in medium- and high-density residential structures.

The Westmount Shopping Centre was built in 1955 in the adjacent Woodcroft neighbourhood. Inglewood’s proximity and access to shopping and employment centres fostered apartment development along major traffic routes and commercial corridors.

The name “Inglewood” was used on a 1905 plan of the subdivision and is now applied to the neighbourhood.

The population in Inglewood is highly mobile. According to the 2005 municipal census, one in four (25.4%) residents had moved within the preceding 12 months. Another one in four (26.8%) had moved within the previous one to three years. Only one in three (33%) of residents had lived at the same address for five years or more.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_WARD%202_2016.pdf

Dovercourt 

Community League:  http://www.dovercourtcl.ca

Dovercourt lies between 118th Avenue and 124th Avenue and east of 142nd Street to St. Albert Trail. Dovercourt and the surrounding area was annexed to Edmonton in 1913, but it remained practically undeveloped until after World War II.

In the 1950s, Dovercourt was re-plotted under the direction of the city’s first town planner, Noel Dant. Dovercourt and its adjacent neighbourhoods were some of the first in North America to be planned according to the “neighbourhood unit” concept. The vast majority of homes in Dovercourt were built in the late 1940s to 1960, and the dominant structure type is the single-detached house.

Landscaping and variable housing set-backs discourage through traffic and improve the attractiveness of the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood unit design is based on a curvilinear street pattern with limited access points. The street and laneway pattern was thought to provide a more efficient use of land than the traditional grid pattern. The interior streets and walkways focus on school and community league sites at the centre of the neighbourhood, and a block of row housing is located next to the school site.

A variety of commercial services are accessible to residents along 118th Avenue and St. Albert Trail/Groat Road. Residents of Dovercourt also have easy access to the nearby Westmount Shopping Centre, as well as other commercial and employment centres in both Edmonton and St. Albert via St. Albert Trail.

Dovercourt already held its name as of 1910, even though it remained undeveloped until 40 years later, and was likely named after Dovercourt Village in Essex, England.Dovercourt remained practically undeveloped until after the Second World War.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_DOVERCOURT_2016.pdf

Sherbrooke 

Community league:  http://www.sherbrooke-community.com

The neighbourhood was likely named after Sherbrooke, Quebec, which itself was named after Sir John Coape Sherbrooke (1763–1811), who was the lieutenant governor of Nova Scotia in 1811 and the governor-in-chief of British North America in 1816.

The Sherbrooke neighbourhood was subdivided in 1906, using a grid street pattern, during Edmonton’s early land boom era. The area was annexed to Edmonton in 1913, but it remained practically undeveloped and in agricultural use until after World War II. In the early 1950s, however, the Sherbrooke subdivision was replotted under the direction of the City’s first town planner, Noel Dant.

Apartment buildings located along 118th Avenue are adjacent to a major traffic and public transit route. The Sherbrooke subdivision was one of the first in North America to be designed using the “neighbourhood unit” concept as the basis of its plan. The design is based on a curvilinear street pattern with limited access points, landscaping, and variable housing set-backs to discourage through traffic and improve the attractiveness of the neighbourhood.

The streets and walkways focus on school and community league sites. Although these design features seem commonplace today, Sherbrooke was cited by the American Society of Planning Officials as a model of good subdivision design in the 1950s.

Originally opened in 1954, Sherbrooke Elementary and Junior High School, which was built to handle the post-war baby boom, closed in 1984 due to declining enrollment. The school has been used for other community and recreational purposes from the mid-1980s onwards.

Sherbrooke Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_SHERBROOKE_2016.pdf

Prince Charles

Community League:  http://princecharlescl.ca

Located just west of the municipal airport lands in north central Edmonton, Prince Charles is situated on land owned, at the time of the first river lot and township surveys of the Edmonton Settlement, by N. McCauley and A. Wilson. The Wilson holding later became part of the Hagmann Estate.

The area was first subdivided in 1905 and was annexed to Edmonton in 1910. Development of Prince Charles was spurred by the extension of the electric street car line to the neighbourhood’s southern border in 1913 and a further extension up 127th Street, toward the railway hamlet of Calder, in 1916. Over time, Prince Charles developed as a low-density residential area.

Non-residential development (including commercial, utility, transportation, and institutional land uses) is concentrated along 118th Avenue and the CNR right-of-way to the east, as well as in the northeast corner of the neighbourhood.

The final surge of residential development occurred during the late 1940s and 1950s, when the demand for residential lots finally caught up to the supply. The residential housing stock in Prince Charles is varied, spanning approximately 100 years of development. Homes built before World War II sit next to new homes built in the 2000s. Most residential units in the neighbourhood are single-detached dwellings, but there are some semi-detached homes and low-rise apartment units located throughout the neighbourhood.

Prince Charles Park is located in the centre of the neighbourhood, and Prince Charles Elementary School is located in the neighbourhood’s northwest corner.

This neighbourhood was originally known as North Inglewood. In 1953, the existing elementary school was renamed in honour of HRH Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales. The name was adopted by the commercial league, which petitioned to formally apply the name to the neighbourhood.

Demographics: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_PRINCE%20CHARLES_2016.pdf

Prince Rupert

Community League:  http://www.princerupertcommunity.ca

The triangle-shaped neighbourhood of Prince Rupert is wholly contained within the old Hudson’s Bay Company land reserve. During the pre-World War I land boom, the Company decided to subdivide a portion of this property. In preparation for subdivision, Portage Avenue was paved and street car tracks were laid down. The avenue was later renamed Kingsway in honour of King George VI’s visit in 1939.

For several decades, traffic on this broad thoroughfare passed by the largely rural lands of Prince Rupert. Until the late 1940s, the neighbourhood contained a farm and a golf course. The post-World War II housing boom quickly converted the remaining open lands in Prince Rupert.

Mixtures of housing forms are located in the neighbourhood’s centre, clustering around a school and small commercial plaza. Large-scale commercial and industrial land uses are situated west of 119th Street. The large block of land east of 119th Street and north of 114th Avenue at one time housed the families of military personnel. In eastern Prince Rupert, the approach path to the Municipal Airport’s runway No. 34 was kept largely clear of residences and reserved for recreational land uses.

This neighbourhood was named after the Prince Rupert Golf Course, which was operated by the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) on its reserve property between 1930 and 1951. The golf course, and subsequently the neighbourhood, was named after the first governor of HBC. Prince Rupert was the nephew of King Charles II and was given a royal charter that enabled him to engage in fur trading. His trading area was known as Rupert’s Land.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_PRINCE%20RUPERT_2016.pdf

Queen Mary Park 

Community League:  http://www.queenmarypark.ca

Although Queen Mary Park is located just northwest of Edmonton’s central business district, much of it was not developed until the 1950s. The neighbourhood is almost wholly contained within the old Hudson’s Bay Company Reserve.

In 1928, the Company placed a restrictive covenant on properties north of 108th Avenue: no structures other than single detached houses were to be built there. A residential watershed was formed as a result, although other structure types were later allowed through an amendment to the convenant. By the 1950s, most of the neighbourhood was developed, and by the 1960s, those properties closest to the downtown core were being redeveloped.

Typical of many inner city neighbourhoods, Queen Mary Park has a variety of land uses. Over 40 percent of the properties are residential, divided almost equally between single detached houses and low-rise apartments. Apartments are located to the north and south of the commercial strip development on 107th Avenue.

In 1885, a group of businessmen bought 40 acres from the Hudson’s Bay Company and established the Edmonton Cemetery. The City purchased the cemetery in 1964. The Edmonton Cemetery contains the city’s oldest and most architecturally diverse monuments; the cemetery’s Field of Honour is the resting place of over 600 veterans. The neighbourhood, a school, and a park are all named after Queen Mary.

Queen Mary, grandmother of Elizabeth II, was born in 1867. Queen Mary became known for her work with charities and hospitals during World War II. The Queen Mary Park Community League was founded in 1952.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_QUEEN%20MARY%20PARK_2016.pdf

Westmount 

Community League:  http://www.westmountcommunityleague.com

In 1878, Malcolm Groat selected his homestead on the land that is now the Westmount neighbourhood. Groat was a Hudson’s Bay Company employee and an early Edmonton settler who remained one of Edmonton’s leading citizens through the turn of the century.

Groat’s square mile of land along the North Saskatchewan River was wisely selected immediately west of the area that became the Hudson’s Bay Reserve. The Groat homestead was annexed to the City of Edmonton in two stages, first in 1904 and then in 1910. Groat gradually sold his land to developers as the demand for residential lots heated up.

Due to its proximity to downtown Edmonton, Westmount developed early, in spite of the general oversupply of residential lots in Edmonton. Beginning in 1910, downtown access was enhanced by the extension of an electric streetcar line between Jasper Avenue and 110th Avenue via 124th Street. Westmount, particularly the area at the rim of the Groat Ravine, established a reputation as an attractive residential area for professionals. A commercial space developed along 124th Street beside the streetcar line. When the line was abandoned between 1947 and 1948, 124th Street was already an established commercial strip.

While most low-density residential structures were built prior to 1950, apartment development (which now accounts for over 50 percent of dwelling units) is more recent. Apartment buildings are generally located near 124th Street or other major traffic routes. Along its residential streets, Westmount has retained many of its attractive older homes, and extensive renovation and infill development has occurred.

To maintain the quality of the residential environment, public and private initiatives to upgrade the ambience of the 124th Street shopping area and to promote voluntary heritage preservation guidelines for building renovations have been under way for some time. Westmount boasts a variety of residential, institutional, recreational, commercial, and light industrial land uses within easy walking distance of each other. The 124th Street shopping area and Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) runs north–south through the neighbourhood, acting as a central spine for the community.

Westmount likely takes its name from an affluent, predominantly Anglophone city (formerly neighbourhood) on the west island of Montreal.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_WESTMOUNT_2016.pdf

North Glenora

Community League:  https://northglenora.org

North Glenora sits on land that was originally part of River Lot 2, a 1,000-acre estate owned by Malcolm Groat in 1870. This land was sold in 1906 to Montreal realtor James Carruthers.

Although many of the older west-end communities that sit within the historic River Lot 2—Groat Estate, Westmount, and Glenora—were actively being developed from the turn of the century, it was not until the post-World War II economic boom that North Glenora began developing.

North Glenora was one of Edmonton’s first comprehensively planned communities. The original subdivision plan, however, followed a grid street pattern typical of many neighbourhoods developed prior to the Second World War. This plan was prepared and the land surveyed during a period of intense land speculation before the First World War, but was left undeveloped as the result of the economic impact of two global wars and the Great Depression.

During the 1940s, the impact of the automobile became an important consideration in the planning of communities; a primary planning objective was to minimize cut-through traffic. In 1949, Noel Dant was hired as the city’s first planner. He designed communities using a modified grid pattern of streets, incorporating crescents and cul-de-sacs to divert traffic around rather than through residential neighbourhoods.

North Glenora was re-subdivided and planned using the new street pattern. It proved so effective at deterring traffic short-cutting that Dant once got lost in North Glenora while trying to find his way through the newly developing community. With a total area of approximately 87 hectares, North Glenora is one of the smaller residential neighbourhoods in the city.

Residential construction in North Glenora occurred almost exclusively in the 1950s. The first building project in the neighbourhood was a recreation complex, which was built in 1953. Most of the public facilities and multi-unit housing complexes in North Glenora are centrally located, surrounded by the neighbourhood’s many single-family dwellings.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_NORTH%20GLENORA_2016.pdf

Woodcroft

Community League:  http://woodcroftcl.org

The Woodcroft neighbourhood is bounded by four major roadways: 111th Avenue, 118th Avenue, 142nd Street, and Groat Road. Woodcroft is unique as a mature neighbourhood in that over half of the total land area is not used for residential purposes.

With the exception of a multi-family development tucked into the northern end of Coronation Park, all of the residential structures in the neighbourhood are located north of 113th Avenue.

The majority of housing in Woodcroft was built in the 1950s, but the area experienced fairly consistent redevelopment and reinvestment over the following decades. The neighbourhood contains a variety of housing styles. Single-detached homes account for roughly 80 percent of the residential structures and 40 percent of the dwelling units in the neighbourhood.

On the west side of the neighbourhood lies Coronation Park, one of the more beautiful parks in Edmonton. It features an outdoor lawn bowling facility, tennis courts, the Peter Hemingway swimming pool, a track, and an arena. The Park also contains the Telus World of Science facility, an extremely popular attraction for both children and adults.

Other facilities in the community include an indoor ice arena and swimming pool, library, community league and elementary, and junior high and senior high schools. The neighbourhood also contains Westmount Shopping Centre, a regional commercial complex built in 1955. The Westmount Shopping Centre was the first indoor shopping mall built in Edmonton and one of the first enclosed shopping malls in North America.

The name Woodcroft has been in use since 1907 and described the area where the neighbourhood was built.

Demographics:  https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/census/Summary%20Report%20of%20All%20Questions_WOODCROFT_2016.pdf