Inglewood and surrounding lands were favored by Indigenous peoples for centuries for their campsites as they offered high ground near the river valley. Higher lands were favored as campsites for the view and the breeze that kept mosquitoes at bay. The site near the North Saskatchewan river (close to where the last Edmonton House was built in the last fort and on the Kinsmen Recreational Centre) were sacred grounds where traces of ancient buffalo jumps, Sun Dance ceremonies and burial grounds remain. The campsites continued to be used as Indigenous people came to the Fort, and later to Edmonton for business and trade. This practice continued until well into the 1920’s.
The campsites were along original Indigenous trails that led towards the traditional gathering place near the North Saskatchewan, the Sturgeon River (St. Albert Mission), and Jasper (the railroad to the mountains was built on these traditional trails) as well as in proximity to the Athabasca Trail that connected the Athabasca River System to the North Saskatchewan River.
Today over 12,000 people live in the area within a 3 km radius with a rich and diverse demographic profile. The area attract a number of minorities such as British Iles Origin, French origins, African origins, Asian origins and Aborigianal origins.